Shriners comes through again!
We had a visit today and had the PT dept. give us a loaner size med. gait trainer for Sammy to use while we are waiting for the brand new one they are ordering for us. Sammy picked out purple. He was definitely excited about that color! He walked in it without his braces, of course, but refuses with them on. Oh well, so the fight goes. The PT there is awesome, she thinks we should get him practicing the skill of walking without the braces and let him have fun with it and then get the braces in on it eventually when he's more comfortable with the walker. Of course, our PT doesn't have that theory, but we have to find a happy medium between her black and white outlook on everything and what actually works for Sam. Of course she said he was even cuter than the last time she saw him. :) She loves him! He is such a charmer anyway when we go places. She said he is doing great because he has the idea of alternating his legs to walk and is able to use his upper body and lower body with motion to walk, which a lot of CP kids like him can't do. They are always so positive and she and the PA told us that we are doing a good job, which is always reassuring to hear, especially when I obsess about not doing all that I can.
The PA said all looks well with him, and we also saw the other PT there and she is ordering us a special needs car seat since Sam is outgrowing his regular one. They said he will need new AFO's on his next visit in 6 months. Wow, the little man's not so little anymore!
We got home and it was absolutely POURING out! After it stopped, there was a beautiful rainbow...maybe a sign???







3 comments:
Great news on the walker! Post some pics of Sammy in it, please! I agree, let him enjoy walking in it without the AFOs. You have to pick your battles, sometimes. We are definitely not as good as we should be about Malayna's SMOs. But one of her PTs never uses them when he sees her. His theory is that she doesn't really need them until she gets to be a real independent walker, then she'll need the support more. He thinks it's important for her to be able to feel the floor with her feet for her balance.
Love the rainbow! They are such signs of hope!
I will absolutely post some pics when i get him in it. We are still tweaking the fit since the one they lent us is an old version and the torso straps aren't really as good at holding him up in the upper body as the new version. I am going to try him in it outside as soon as the rain stops! He loves to walk in the grass!
So great to hear about Sammy doing well in the walker. Yeah, I would like to see some pictures too!! He is way cute! I bet he is a charmer!! I think it is wonderful that you have found such a positive place to visit like that. I wish I could find that anywhere.
Post a Comment