Friday, January 8, 2010

R.I.P. Franklin

Ok, so my poor turtle Franklin passed away last night. I realize he is "just a turtle" but I have had him for 9 years now, and he was definitely part of the family. He was getting swollen lately and started not eating so I brought him to the vet and he thought he had sepsis. He gave him a vitamin shot and an antiobio shot but nonetheless, he passed on...i am so sad...no more turtles for me...i seem to not have the best of luck with them... this was turtle #3... life goes on...

Sammy saw the ped. pulmonologist the other day in SPringfield, and he is on new inhaler meds, an antibiotic for a sinus infection we didn't even realize he had until they did an xray, and he will be getting a cough assist machine to help him bring up the junk in his chest. yuck! We have many more tests scheduled including a swallow study and sleep study to find out what's causing the pneumonias.

Good news--- we have an appt. with the comm. device rep. on January 19 to set Sammy up with his new device! YAH! It will be 2-4 weeks from there before he gets it, but it's so exciting to have the wheels in motion! :) I can't wait to "talk" with my little man finally! :)

RIP Frankin--I am hoping you are enjoying some nice squash with the big man upstairs under some really warm sunshine!

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Awww, Ellen! I'm so sorry to hear about Franklin. The loss of pets is so hard! We still haven't recovered from losing our cat while I was pregnant with Malayna! We swear we'll never have another pet, it's just too painful when the die!
Wow, lot's of excitement with Sammy hah? I'm so glad to hear about the communication device and can't wait to hear how it goes. I hope the pulmonologist can get his lungs cleared up soon. Let us know how the other tests go too.

momtoablessing said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your turtle. Its always hard to lose a family member and a pet is always a family member. Thats awesome about the communication device for audrianna we are still trying to work on getting the Go talk 9+ for audrianna I swear its gonna take forever. Shoot me an email sometime and we can catch up.

ellen :) said...

Thanks, Sheila.

I am also hopeful about the lungs clearing. The good news is that he has been sleeping through the night on the change of antibiotics. It has been wonderful! :)

Thanks, Jenny.

We feel like we have been waiting forever for this too! I know it's only been months, but I think the only thing that is helping the time situation is that we aren't going through insurance. That would be another forever to wait! ugh!

Amy said...

Sorry about Franklin. We have fish that die all the time. It is hard to explain to Emma. But, I don't think she really cares that much. But, it bothers me. I imagine that is to have Franklin so long and then lose him. Hopefuly, he is happy in turtle heaven. The communication device will be awesome for Sammy. I can't wait to hear about it.

Dawn said...

So sorry about Franklin; 9 years is a long time for them to live it seems. Did you name him after the Franklin book series? Austin is always bringing home Franklin library books.

Can't wait to hear more about Sammy's communication device. Sounds very cool.