Ok, so we had Sam's transition meeting on Wed. morning. First of all, I felt like I was being attacked by the speech therapist he has now, whom I can't stand AT ALL. She is snotty and has totally wasted 2 years of Sam's speech therapy with bullshit activities...she underestimates his intelligence and he has actually regressed in this area, I feel...anyway, the new therapist at his new school is better and I am SO happy he is not having this current one EVER again after this year! Anyway, I digress...his current teacher asked me if I had any concerns and when I brought up being concerned with him being able to make it through a full day, as he gets so exhausted and cranky now, and without having a transition period with half days first at a brand new school, it was like I was insulting everyone's competence..ok, mostly just the speech therapist's...she kept REALLY loudly telling me that "they" (her included) were all SPED teachers and have had kids like this before and that they know what to do with a kid like Sam. Well, Miss Thang, no you don't! She is NOT a teacher, and she hasn't had anyone like Sam before! And she didn't realize that the new teacher admitted to me the other day that they had never had anyone like Sam there before....I REALLY wanted to go across the table at her..I really did, but Brian was also there and he would have been pissed if I had! ;) And then I had his current teacher ask me if maybe Sam was "playing" me at home a little bit like kids do, because they don't try that stuff at school with other people. Oh yeah, my kid is FAKING being exhausted by dinner time even though just BEING IN HIS BODY is exhausting enough, never mind having the demands of school on top of it! It was like, I was nuts for being concerned...oh yeah, whatever! None of these people have ONE CLUE what it is to raise a child with severe SN, so please don't even attempt to judge what I am saying! I just said, "you know what?? Forget it, he'll do full days just pretend I didn't bring it up! Why ask if you don't really want to know???
Anywho, so then they tell us that they recommended that he have a one-on-one aide next year and the higher up guy denied it! I was like, hell no! So I put in a call with the head os SPED this a.m., of course she didn't call me back... I actually ended up meeting with the guy that they said told us no at my school today since he was in the open classroom next door to me meeting with my co-teacher. He said he had never been asked about Sam and that he isn't even the one who makes the decision about aides. He said that he was told yesterday afternoon that the team didn't recommend the aide but that his new teacher wanted it, so that they were giving him one! I was like, what??!! So he is as confused as I am and he will be calling the head of SPED tomorrow himself and finding out what's going on...UGH! One more thing, seriously?? I will update when we find out what's going to happen...
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
OMG, how annoying! Like we really need more crap to deal with in our lives. These people have no clue! Sorry you had to deal with such headaches!
thanks, Sheila..the saga continues...I just got an email from his old teacher and she's returning the SPED director's call to me...can't wait to see what that means!
Post a Comment