Just wanted to share some of the comments I encountered in ONE day, yesterday while out getting errands run.....had to vent them...
We had to go to the eye doc for Sammy's 4 month check-up...the bee-otch assistant, after annoying me with her judging comments and LAME explanation of why Sam has to wear his glasses, and after us waiting for 45 minutes already, comes over to us and says, "there is a boy ahead of Sam, so you can bring him out to the toys and he can play." I just said, "well, he CAN'T, so i guess we'll just wait here." Now, this woman knows how severe Sam is... UGH! Rub it in, lady!
Then we were at the Registry, waiting to get Sam's picture done for his Handicapped Parking placard, and after ANOTHER 45 minute wait and being annoyed the whole time by a well-meaning old lady sitting next to me peppering me with questions about Sam, we FINALLY got up to the desk. I told the woman why were there and she can SEE that Sam is HANGING off of me, not able to hold himself up, even, and she says, "Ok, just sit him on the chair there." DUH, lady! :( I said, "Well, he can't sit by himself, I'll have to sit him on my lap. " You should have seen the irritated look I got! So I said, "That's kind of why we're here getting this!" She says, "oh, yeah." So she finally gets a picture of mostly just Sam and then we are leaving, and she gives Sam a pity look and says to me, "God bless you." I know she meant well, but what the hell??? It just sounds so patronizing when people say it that way! I guess the tone in her voice was what made it sound negative....I mean, I'll say it to people that have chosen to have a lot of kids, or that have twins, like in a joking way...but pity just annoys me, i guess....sorry...
And on top of all of that.... I MISS MY LUKE-A-LICIOUS! Off having fun without me in Florida! ;) "almost" catching big bass, and swimming all day! :) Lucky dog! I'll share his pics when he gets back...
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
i think that a lot of times people say things assuming that sam can 'play' and sit on his own because he doesn't look like what people have in their minds that a handicapped child looks like..he just looks like any other kid..or maybe the registry lady didn't want to offend you by asking if he could sit by himself..because that could sound like she's assuming that he can't sit because he's handicapped. just a couple thoughts. but god bless?? who the hell even says that anymore?? you should've said 'i didn't sneeze' hehe now that would have been funny
it would have been funny... :)
I know I sound defensive about the comments, but I was annoyed that the woman at the eye doc's office KNOWS he is pretty severe! I don't hold it against people that aren't sure about him...and I think the registry lady was just out of it and not paying attention..u know how they are not the brightest bulbs! Thanks for the thoughts! :)
Post a Comment